About Me

My photo
Just musings and views. Nothing more, nothing less.

Friday 17 April 2020

Vinyl #45 - Gruppo Sportivo

"Beep Beep Love" (12" single)


I bought this in Focus Records in Waterlooville in 1977 after hearing it on the John Peel radio show. The promotional price of 99p for a 12" single would have been a big factor in the purchase for this 15 year-old.

Apart from Peel playing them regularly (and I think having them do a session for his programme) I knew nothing about them except that they were a Dutch band, but what I did like was this very catchy, off-kilter pop gem that doesn't take itself too seriously. Playing it again for the first time in years, those endearing traits still shine through and I have to say this 57 year-old is still very fond of it! 99p well spent me-thinks.


Research tells me that the record was produced by some Dutch bloke out of Golden Earring (of 'Radar Love' fame), and that the main bloke behind Gruppo Sportivo (which is a great name for a band) was and still is slightly strange.

Here's the music:   https://youtu.be/tYtua6piTuU



No comments:

Post a Comment