About Me

My photo
Just musings and views. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Vinyl #1 - Buzzcocks



Buzzcocks - 'What Do I Get'/'Oh Shit' (7" inch single)

I'm going to start with a very special record for me. Aged 15, in February 1978 I got on a train at Havant and travelled to Guildford for a job interview with Lloyds Bank. Guildford seemed like the other side of the world, and I distinctly remember what I was wearing: light blue nylon trousers with a generous flare, and a dark blue blazer with a generous lapel. 
I arrived early and decided to seek out a record shop, where I was delighted to see this record for sales. Duly purchased I then wondered what I would do with it - taking a punk rock single into a job interview with a bank probably wasn't the wisest move. I can't remember what I actually did but I got the job!
I never tire of this song, it's a classic Pete Shelley slice of teen love angst, buzz saw guitars and melodies to die for. The b-side still gets an occasional outing at live shows, and powers through its 92 seconds.
A month after I bought this I saw Buzzcocks live for the first time, supported by The Slits, at Portsmouth Locarno. They didn't disappoint. 



No comments:

Post a Comment